You’ve probably heard of brand image and brand awareness, but have you ever heard of brand safety? If you haven’t, then you’re seriously missing out! If you’re not practicing brand safety, then you could easily fall victim to potentially damaging content being associated with your brand. You obviously don’t want this to happen since you’ve worked so hard to build your brand image and promote your business. So what can you do about it? Thankfully, we are here to tell you everything you need to know about brand safety so that you can start protecting your brand image and reputation.
What Is Brand Safety?
Brand safety is the mitigation of risk in a brand’s advertising supply chain. It involves eradicating or demonetizing videos and other content that may be considered dangerous, illegal, or otherwise universally unacceptable. This is especially important when it comes to giant platforms like YouTube where extremely high volumes of content are being added every second with few ways to actually screen this content prior to posting. So when you prioritize brand safety instead of just allowing your content to be placed anywhere, you are eliminating risk on your end and better promoting your ideals and mission as a result.
Why Is Brand Safety Important?
Even though we have already hit on some of the reasons why brand safety is important, it’s still necessary to go over these reasons more in-depth so that you can get a true understanding of how vital it is for any business that is advertising on the internet.
- The internet is forever: We have all heard this phrase before and it’s 100% true. Once something is on the internet, it’s out there forever. Brand safety will help ensure that only positive and beneficial content gets immortalized on the internet rather than potentially damaging things that can hurt your brand.
- The internet is global: You can’t just assume that every person in the world thinks the same way. Brand safety takes this into account and considers the views of other cultures and content in other languages in order to take a more global approach to marketing.
- You can’t buy a reputation: As a business, you need to protect your reputation at all costs because it really is priceless. Once it’s damaged, it’s almost impossible to come back. So obviously the best way to avoid this is to protect it in the first place with brand safety practices.
- Your ads will be more effective: Brand safety isn’t just about protecting your brand image but also promoting it! Inclusion lists are also a part of brand safety that allows you to choose areas to advertise that are related to or otherwise align with your company. Since your content will be more relevant, viewers are more likely to relate to it and your ads will be more effective than ever.
How to Effectively Practice Brand Safety?
Permanently damaging your brand’s image and reputation is a worst-case scenario, so make sure you never get to that point by effectively practicing brand safety by doing the following:
- Develop inclusion and exclusion lists: Inclusion lists should include videos and platforms that have been proven safe and well-aligned with your own content. Exclusion lists should include things that you don’t want to be associated with like violence, terrorism, politics, religion, etc.
- Develop brand guidelines: Create brand guidelines for each individual market that include your company mission, values, and ideals. Then consider how these factors can be affected by different types of content.
- Utilize technology: With so much content out there, it’s nearly impossible to sort through it manually, so that’s where technology comes in. it’s well worth it to invest in software that’s able to process and tailor your brand safety strategy for you while leaving humans as the quality control mechanism.
Now that you know everything about brand safety, there’s no reason to leave your brand at-risk for one second longer! The best way to protect your brand is to consult with brand safety experts that can help you come up with a strategy and cover all the possible angles.